Recent Resident Presentations at Local and National Meetings
- Chirumamilla, S., Muniswamy, V., Bernert, S., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S. Effect of Athletics on Activities of Daily Living, Depression & Self-efficacy after Spinal Cord Injury. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Muniswamy, V., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S.S. Art as Therapy in Rehabilitation. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Nagar, V.R., Sawyer, S.F., James, C.R., Brismée, J.M., Hooper, T.L., and Sizer, P.S. The Effects of Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction on Postural Control Responses. AAP, 2013.
- Ngo, T. and Vargas, O.O. Identification of Sural Nociceptive Flexion Reflex Ratio. AAP, 2013.
- Parker, F.A., White, H., and Iwinski, H.J. Knee Hyperextension after Hamstring Lengthening in Cerebral Palsy: Incidence, Predictive Factors and Cost in Gait Efficiency. AAPMR, 2013.
- Manchikanti, M., White, H., Iwinski, H.J., and Salles, S.S. A Retrospective Examination of Gait Changes Following Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy in Different Age Groups. AAP, 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan P; Systematic review of hypogonadism with chronic opioid pain management and management of opioid induced hypogonadism. International Opioid Conference, 2014.
- Korupolu, R, White, H, Salles, S, and Iwinski H. Distant Joint effects of distal hamstring lengthening in children with cerebral palsy: A retrospective study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Korupolu et al., Effects of transvertebral direct current stimulation in healthy humans: Early results from an ongoing randomized cross over study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Key, JL, and Erlandson, E. Moyamoya Syndrome and Cerebral Vascular Accident as a Presenting Manifestation of Neurosyphilis: A Case Report. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Hooper T, Dedrick G, Brismée JM, Sizer P; Effect of Persistent Low Back Pain on Volitional Pre-emptive Abdominal Activation During a Loaded Functional Reach Activity; AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Nickerson R; Functional improvement for heart failure patients after left ventricular assistive device placement in a free standing rehabilitation hospital; AAPMR 2014.
- Ma, Z, Ortiz Vargas, O, Springer, J, and Nickerson, R. Elevated International Normalized Ratio Associated With Infections: Case Reports. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan PA. A Systematic Review Of Hypogonadism Associated With Chronic Opioid Therapy. Moderated e-Poster on chronic pain at: ASRAP-0049, American Society of Regional Anesthesia 13th Annual Pain Medicine Meeting; San Francisco, CA; 2014, and the Pain Society of the Carolinas Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions (invited presentation); 2014.
- Hare, J, Muniswamy, V, Ortiz, O, and Salles, S. Cooled radiofrequency ablation in the management of sacroiliac joint pain – a systematic review. ASIPP 2015. One of eight (out of 125) chosen for podium presentation.
- Muniswamy, V, Hare, J, Grider, J, and Ortiz, O. Systematic review of radiofrequency ablation of genicular nerve in the management of chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis. ASIPP 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Carrico, C., Chelette, K.C., Lee, K. Powell, E., and Sawaki, Lumy. Non-invasive Brain Stimulation Paired with Locomotor Training Improves Muscle Strength After Motor Complete Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Study Report. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Powell, E., Sloan, P., and Sawaki, L. Modulating Neuropathic Pain with Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation: Preliminary Findings from an Ongoing Study. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Key, J. and Erlandson, E. A Retrospective Review of Rehabilitation Patients with Stroke Who Required Return to Acute Care. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Raut, N. and Ortiz, O. Ulnar Neuropathy at the Elbow (UNE): Contirbution of Ultrasonographic Examination When Electrodiagnostic Studies are Limited by the Presence of Polyneuropathy. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Guynn, C., Rankin, W., and Evans-Rankin, K.. A Rare Cause of Dorsoradial Wrist Pain in a Middle-Aged Man. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. April, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Sawaki L, Salles S, James CR, Brismee JM, Sizer PS. The influence of phantom limb pain on functional improvement in lower limb amputation patients during inpatient rehabilitation. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Hooper TL, Dedrick GS, Mcgalliard M, Brismée JM, Sizer PS. The effect of current low back pain on volitional preemptive abdominal activation during a loaded functional reach activity. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Salles S, Sloan PA. Opioid use in chronic pain patients with chronic kidney disease- A systematic review. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Pooja R, Sinha N. Bilateral L2 DRG Stimulation for Lumbar Post Laminectomy Syndrome in Patient with Large Arachnoid Cyst. NANS 2017
- Elwert, NC, Epps, AC, Gibson C, Perry, DR (2017). Paget-von Schroetter Syndrome in a Division II Baseball Player: A Case Report. American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Mid Year Meeting & Scientific Seminar 2017 in Hollywood Beach, FL.
- Daley, NC, Elwert, NC. A 21 year-old cheerleader with acute lower extremity weakness. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 26th Annual Meeting (Medicine in Motion) in San Diego, CA. 2017
- Lopez J, McDowell S, Sawaki L. The Benefit of Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation in Patients with Functional Deficits Related to Paramyotonia Congenita: a Case Report. AAP Atlanta, GA Feb 13-17, 2018
- Troyer, D, Salles S. Management of Spasticity in Stiff Person Syndrome Undergoing General Anesthesia: A Case Study. AAP Atlanta, GA Feb 13-17, 2018
- Troyer, D. Rankin. An Atypical Cause of Lateral Shoulder Pain: A Case Study. The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM). Orlando, FL April 24-29, 2018
- Justin Huber MD MS, Nathan Abdelsayed MD, Lumy Sawaki MD PhD. Impact of Dynamic Body-Weight Support on Inpatient Rehabilitation Outcomes in NonTraumatic Spinal Cord Injury: Preliminary Findings. Poster Presentation, AAPM&R 2018 National Assemby, Oct 2018
- Toyer, Wesley Contribution of Ultrasonographic Examination When Electrodiagnostic Studies Are Inconclusive: A Case Report (Spring 2018)Orlando, FL Poster Presentation at AAPM&R National Conference 2018
John Lopez, DO; Elizabeth Powell, MS; Lumy Sawaki, MD, PhD. Enhancing motor recovery with brain stimulation in spinal cord injury: a case series. Poster Presentation at ASCIP National Conference 2018 New Orleans, LA - September 2018
John Lopez, DO; Susan McDowell, MD. Benefit of acute inpatient rehabilitation on patients with paramyotonia congenita: a case report. Poster Presentation at AAP National Conference 2018 Atlanta, GA - February 2018
- Perry, DR, Riden, WT, Parrott, M, Thomas, N, Elwert, NC. Hip Pain in a Division II Female Golfer: A Case Report. American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Mid Year Meeting & Scientific Seminar 2018 in Nashville, TN
- Elwert, NC, Hollen, CT , Perry, DR. Shoulder pain in a 13-year-old multi-sport athlete. American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine 2018 Clinical Conference in Columbus, OH.
Tahsin Choudhury, OMSIII; Zachariah Jensen, D.O. Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment Improves Recovery of a Rotator Cuff Tear. AOCPMR Mid Year Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Chicago, IL, 23 April 2019.
John Lopez, DO; Robert Worthing, MD. Ultrasound guided dextrose prolotherapy for chronic knee pain in a patient with spinal cord injury: a case report. Poster Presentation at AAP National Conference 2019 San Juan, Puerto Rico - February 2019
- Stanton, R., M.D.; Stiles, N., M.D.; Colyer, J., M.D. Foot Drop in Patient with Wilson’s Disease and Liver Transplantation: A Case Study. Poster session presented at the annual conference of Association of Academic Physiatrists, Puerto Rico. 2019, February
- Dixon, D, Hollen, CT, Elwert, NC. Anterior Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome: A Case Report. American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Mid Year Meeting & Scientific Seminar 2019 in Chicago, IL
Recent Resident Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Schneider, B., Birthi, P., and Salles, S.S. Arnold-Chiari 1 malformation type 1 with syringohydromyelia presenting as acute tetraparesis: A case report. Spinal Cord Med., 36(2):161-165, 2013.
- Nagar V.R., Hooper, T.L., Dedrick, G.S., Brismée, J.M., and Sizer, P.S. Effect of recurrent low back pain history on volitional pre-emptive abdominal activation during a loaded functional reach activity. Spine. Jan 15;39(2):E89-96, 2014
- Korupolu, R., Ngo, T., Hack, N., Escott, E., Salles, S.S. Rehabilitation outcomes after combined acute disseminated encephalomyelitis and Guillain-Barré syndrome in a child: a case report. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 7(3):267-72. 2014.
- Pakeerappa P.N., Birthi P., and Salles, S.S. Botulinum toxin a injection to facial and cervical paraspinal muscles in a patient with stiff person syndrome: a case report. PMR. Mar;7(3):326-328, 2015.
- Nagar, V.R., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S.S. Increased Incidence of Spinal Abscess and Substance Abuse after Implementation of State Mandated Prescription Drug Legislation. Pain Med. 2015 Oct;16(10):2031-2035, 2015.
- Nagar, V.R., Sawyer, S.F., James, C.R., Brismée, J.M., Hooper, T.L., and Sizer, P.S. The Effects of Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction on Postural Control Responses in Healthy Subjects. PMR. Nov;7(11):1142-1151, 2015.
- Birthi, P., Nagar, V.R., Nickerson, R., and Sloan, P.A. Hypogonadism associated with long-term opioid therapy: A systematic review. J Opioid Manag. May-Jun;11(3):255-278, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Grider JS, Asopa A. Systematic review of radiofrequency ablation and pulsed radiofrequency for management of cervicogenic headache. Pain Physician. 2015 Mar-Apr;18(2):109-30, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P. Implications of bariatric surgery on chronic pain and opioid use. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. Mar;29(1):51-53, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P. Chronic opioid pain management for chronic kidney disease. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. Mar;29(1):48-50, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Hooper TL, Dedrick GS, Brismée JM, McGalliard MK, Sizer PS. The Effect of Current Low Back Pain on Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Activation During a Loaded Forward Reach Activity. PMR. pii: S1934-1482. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27390055, 2016.
- Kublawi MA, Hooper TL, Nagar VR, Wilhelm MP, Browne KL, Brismée JM, Sizer PS. The Effect of Distractive Function on Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction During a Loaded Forward Reach in Normal Subjects. PMR. pii: S1934-1482. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27060647, 2016.
- Colvin, LD, Elwert NC, Shirley NR (2015). Secondary pathologies of clavicle fractures: length discrepancies and osteoarthritic change. American Association of Clinical Anatomists 2015 Annual Meeting in Henderson, NV.* Journal: Clinical Anatomy, Volume 29, Issue 1, 78-103 (2016)
Troyer, Wesley D. Kiel, John. "Emergency Management of Heat-Related Illness" EM Resident for EMRA. October/November monthly publication and online article. https://www.emra.org/emresident/article/heat-related-illness/ Published in October 2018.
- Dolbow, JD, Ly HP, Kim R, Elwert, NC, Gassler, J. A Comprehensive Review of the Protocol- and Environment-Specific Effects of Exercise on Balance, Motor Function, Gait Quality, and Quality of Life in Individuals with Huntington’s Disease. International Journal of Exercise Science 12(3): 456-470. 2018.
- James D. Dolbow, Haul Ly, Nicholas Elwert, and John Gassler. Effects of Exercise Environment and Protocol Intensity on the Efficacy of Rehabilitation Care for Patients with Huntington’s Disease: A Comprehensive Review. International Journal of Exercise Science 12(3): 456-470, 2019.
Carrico C, Annichiarico N, Salmon-Powell E, Westgate PM, Sawaki L. Chronicity of Stroke does not affect outcomes of Somatosensory Stimulation paired with Task-Oriented Motor Training: A Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil (In Press).