Recent Resident Presentations at Local and National Meetings
- Chirumamilla, S., Muniswamy, V., Bernert, S., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S. Effect of Athletics on Activities of Daily Living, Depression & Self-efficacy after Spinal Cord Injury. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Muniswamy, V., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S.S. Art as Therapy in Rehabilitation. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Nagar, V.R., Sawyer, S.F., James, C.R., Brismée, J.M., Hooper, T.L., and Sizer, P.S. The Effects of Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction on Postural Control Responses. AAP, 2013.
- Ngo, T. and Vargas, O.O. Identification of Sural Nociceptive Flexion Reflex Ratio. AAP, 2013.
- Parker, F.A., White, H., and Iwinski, H.J. Knee Hyperextension after Hamstring Lengthening in Cerebral Palsy: Incidence, Predictive Factors and Cost in Gait Efficiency. AAPMR, 2013.
- Manchikanti, M., White, H., Iwinski, H.J., and Salles, S.S. A Retrospective Examination of Gait Changes Following Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy in Different Age Groups. AAP, 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan P; Systematic review of hypogonadism with chronic opioid pain management and management of opioid induced hypogonadism. International Opioid Conference, 2014.
- Korupolu, R, White, H, Salles, S, and Iwinski H. Distant Joint effects of distal hamstring lengthening in children with cerebral palsy: A retrospective study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Korupolu et al., Effects of transvertebral direct current stimulation in healthy humans: Early results from an ongoing randomized cross over study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Key, JL, and Erlandson, E. Moyamoya Syndrome and Cerebral Vascular Accident as a Presenting Manifestation of Neurosyphilis: A Case Report. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Hooper T, Dedrick G, Brismée JM, Sizer P; Effect of Persistent Low Back Pain on Volitional Pre-emptive Abdominal Activation During a Loaded Functional Reach Activity; AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Nickerson R; Functional improvement for heart failure patients after left ventricular assistive device placement in a free standing rehabilitation hospital; AAPMR 2014.
- Ma, Z, Ortiz Vargas, O, Springer, J, and Nickerson, R. Elevated International Normalized Ratio Associated With Infections: Case Reports. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan PA. A Systematic Review Of Hypogonadism Associated With Chronic Opioid Therapy. Moderated e-Poster on chronic pain at: ASRAP-0049, American Society of Regional Anesthesia 13th Annual Pain Medicine Meeting; San Francisco, CA; 2014, and the Pain Society of the Carolinas Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions (invited presentation); 2014.
- Hare, J, Muniswamy, V, Ortiz, O, and Salles, S. Cooled radiofrequency ablation in the management of sacroiliac joint pain – a systematic review. ASIPP 2015. One of eight (out of 125) chosen for podium presentation.
- Muniswamy, V, Hare, J, Grider, J, and Ortiz, O. Systematic review of radiofrequency ablation of genicular nerve in the management of chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis. ASIPP 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Carrico, C., Chelette, K.C., Lee, K. Powell, E., and Sawaki, Lumy. Non-invasive Brain Stimulation Paired with Locomotor Training Improves Muscle Strength After Motor Complete Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Study Report. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Powell, E., Sloan, P., and Sawaki, L. Modulating Neuropathic Pain with Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation: Preliminary Findings from an Ongoing Study. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Key, J. and Erlandson, E. A Retrospective Review of Rehabilitation Patients with Stroke Who Required Return to Acute Care. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Raut, N. and Ortiz, O. Ulnar Neuropathy at the Elbow (UNE): Contirbution of Ultrasonographic Examination When Electrodiagnostic Studies are Limited by the Presence of Polyneuropathy. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Guynn, C., Rankin, W., and Evans-Rankin, K.. A Rare Cause of Dorsoradial Wrist Pain in a Middle-Aged Man. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. April, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Sawaki L, Salles S, James CR, Brismee JM, Sizer PS. The influence of phantom limb pain on functional improvement in lower limb amputation patients during inpatient rehabilitation. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Hooper TL, Dedrick GS, Mcgalliard M, Brismée JM, Sizer PS. The effect of current low back pain on volitional preemptive abdominal activation during a loaded functional reach activity. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Salles S, Sloan PA. Opioid use in chronic pain patients with chronic kidney disease- A systematic review. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
Recent Resident Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Schneider, B., Birthi, P., and Salles, S.S. Arnold-Chiari 1 malformation type 1 with syringohydromyelia presenting as acute tetraparesis: A case report. Spinal Cord Med., 36(2):161-165, 2013.
- Nagar V.R., Hooper, T.L., Dedrick, G.S., Brismée, J.M., and Sizer, P.S. Effect of recurrent low back pain history on volitional pre-emptive abdominal activation during a loaded functional reach activity. Spine. Jan 15;39(2):E89-96, 2014
- Korupolu, R., Ngo, T., Hack, N., Escott, E., Salles, S.S. Rehabilitation outcomes after combined acute disseminated encephalomyelitis and Guillain-Barré syndrome in a child: a case report. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 7(3):267-72. 2014.
- Pakeerappa P.N., Birthi P., and Salles, S.S. Botulinum toxin a injection to facial and cervical paraspinal muscles in a patient with stiff person syndrome: a case report. PMR. Mar;7(3):326-328, 2015.
- Nagar, V.R., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S.S. Increased Incidence of Spinal Abscess and Substance Abuse after Implementation of State Mandated Prescription Drug Legislation. Pain Med. 2015 Oct;16(10):2031-2035, 2015.
- Nagar, V.R., Sawyer, S.F., James, C.R., Brismée, J.M., Hooper, T.L., and Sizer, P.S. The Effects of Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction on Postural Control Responses in Healthy Subjects. PMR. Nov;7(11):1142-1151, 2015.
- Birthi, P., Nagar, V.R., Nickerson, R., and Sloan, P.A. Hypogonadism associated with long-term opioid therapy: A systematic review. J Opioid Manag. May-Jun;11(3):255-278, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Grider JS, Asopa A. Systematic review of radiofrequency ablation and pulsed radiofrequency for management of cervicogenic headache. Pain Physician. 2015 Mar-Apr;18(2):109-30, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P. Implications of bariatric surgery on chronic pain and opioid use. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. Mar;29(1):51-53, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P. Chronic opioid pain management for chronic kidney disease. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. Mar;29(1):48-50, 2015.
- Nagar VR, Hooper TL, Dedrick GS, Brismée JM, McGalliard MK, Sizer PS. The Effect of Current Low Back Pain on Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Activation During a Loaded Forward Reach Activity. PMR. pii: S1934-1482. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27390055, 2016.
- Kublawi MA, Hooper TL, Nagar VR, Wilhelm MP, Browne KL, Brismée JM, Sizer PS. The Effect of Distractive Function on Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction During a Loaded Forward Reach in Normal Subjects. PMR. pii: S1934-1482. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27060647, 2016.