Recent Resident Presentations at Local and National Meetings
- Chirumamilla, S., Muniswamy, V., Bernert, S., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S. Effect of Athletics on Activities of Daily Living, Depression & Self-efficacy after Spinal Cord Injury. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Muniswamy, V., Springer, J.E., and Salles, S.S. Art as Therapy in Rehabilitation. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, 2013.
- Nagar, V.R., Sawyer, S.F., James, C.R., Brismée, J.M., Hooper, T.L., and Sizer, P.S. The Effects of Volitional Preemptive Abdominal Contraction on Postural Control Responses. AAP, 2013.
- Ngo, T. and Vargas, O.O. Identification of Sural Nociceptive Flexion Reflex Ratio. AAP, 2013.
- Parker, F.A., White, H., and Iwinski, H.J. Knee Hyperextension after Hamstring Lengthening in Cerebral Palsy: Incidence, Predictive Factors and Cost in Gait Efficiency. AAPMR, 2013.
- Manchikanti, M., White, H., Iwinski, H.J., and Salles, S.S. A Retrospective Examination of Gait Changes Following Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy in Different Age Groups. AAP, 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan P; Systematic review of hypogonadism with chronic opioid pain management and management of opioid induced hypogonadism. International Opioid Conference, 2014.
- Korupolu, R, White, H, Salles, S, and Iwinski H. Distant Joint effects of distal hamstring lengthening in children with cerebral palsy: A retrospective study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Korupolu et al., Effects of transvertebral direct current stimulation in healthy humans: Early results from an ongoing randomized cross over study. Intl PM&R Conference 2014.
- Key, JL, and Erlandson, E. Moyamoya Syndrome and Cerebral Vascular Accident as a Presenting Manifestation of Neurosyphilis: A Case Report. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Hooper T, Dedrick G, Brismée JM, Sizer P; Effect of Persistent Low Back Pain on Volitional Pre-emptive Abdominal Activation During a Loaded Functional Reach Activity; AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Nickerson R; Functional improvement for heart failure patients after left ventricular assistive device placement in a free standing rehabilitation hospital; AAPMR 2014.
- Ma, Z, Ortiz Vargas, O, Springer, J, and Nickerson, R. Elevated International Normalized Ratio Associated With Infections: Case Reports. AAPMR 2014.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Nickerson R, Sloan PA. A Systematic Review Of Hypogonadism Associated With Chronic Opioid Therapy. Moderated e-Poster on chronic pain at: ASRAP-0049, American Society of Regional Anesthesia 13th Annual Pain Medicine Meeting; San Francisco, CA; 2014, and the Pain Society of the Carolinas Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions (invited presentation); 2014.
- Hare, J, Muniswamy, V, Ortiz, O, and Salles, S. Cooled radiofrequency ablation in the management of sacroiliac joint pain – a systematic review. ASIPP 2015. One of eight (out of 125) chosen for podium presentation.
- Muniswamy, V, Hare, J, Grider, J, and Ortiz, O. Systematic review of radiofrequency ablation of genicular nerve in the management of chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis. ASIPP 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Carrico, C., Chelette, K.C., Lee, K. Powell, E., and Sawaki, Lumy. Non-invasive Brain Stimulation Paired with Locomotor Training Improves Muscle Strength After Motor Complete Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Study Report. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Muniswamy, V., Powell, E., Sloan, P., and Sawaki, L. Modulating Neuropathic Pain with Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation: Preliminary Findings from an Ongoing Study. North American Neuromodulation Society. December, 2015.
- Key, J. and Erlandson, E. A Retrospective Review of Rehabilitation Patients with Stroke Who Required Return to Acute Care. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Raut, N. and Ortiz, O. Ulnar Neuropathy at the Elbow (UNE): Contirbution of Ultrasonographic Examination When Electrodiagnostic Studies are Limited by the Presence of Polyneuropathy. Association of Academic Physiatrists. February, 2016.
- Guynn, C., Rankin, W., and Evans-Rankin, K.. A Rare Cause of Dorsoradial Wrist Pain in a Middle-Aged Man. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. April, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Sawaki L, Salles S, James CR, Brismee JM, Sizer PS. The influence of phantom limb pain on functional improvement in lower limb amputation patients during inpatient rehabilitation. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Hooper TL, Dedrick GS, Mcgalliard M, Brismée JM, Sizer PS. The effect of current low back pain on volitional preemptive abdominal activation during a loaded functional reach activity. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
- Nagar VR, Birthi P, Salles S, Sloan PA. Opioid use in chronic pain patients with chronic kidney disease- A systematic review. International Anesthesia Research Society. May, 2016.
Enhancing motor recovery with brain stimulation in spinal cord injury: a case series John Lopez, DO; Elizabeth Powell, MS; Lumy Sawaki, MD, PhD Presentation at University of Kentucky Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Research Day Lexington, KY - May 2018
- Stanton, Ruth. If the Shoe (Does not) Fit: A case Presentation. Case study presented for Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. October 2018
- Stanton, R., MD, MS; Callahan, R; Pohl, M. PhD; White, H., PT, PhD; Shapiro, R., PhD; Iwinski, H., MD . Single Limb Standing Test, GMFM and Reported Fall Frequencies in Children Diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. Shriners Hospitals for Children Medical Center; University of Kentucky; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department of the University of Kentucky. 2018.
- Stanton, Ruth. Cerebral Palsy: Gait and Physiatric Interventions. Formal presentation presented for Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. September 2018.
Lopez John, D.O. Elizabeth Powell, MS; Lumy Sawaki, MD, PhD. Enhancing motor recovery with brain stimulation in spinal cord injury: a case series. Platform Presentation at Kentucky Neuroscience Clinical-Translational Research Symposium Lexington, KY - October 2018
Lopez, John D.O., McDowell, Susan M.D. Benefit of acute inpatient rehabilitation on patients with paramyotonia congenita: a case report; Poster Presentation at Kentucky Neuroscience Clinical-Translational Research Symposium Lexington, KY - October 2018
Troyer, Wesley. Contribution of Ultrasonographic Examination When Electrodiagnostic Studies Are Inconclusive: A Case Report Orlando, FL Poster Presentation at AAPM&R National Conference Spring 2018
Justin Huber MD MS, Nathan Abdelsayed, MD,Lumy Sawaki, MD PhD. “Impact of Dynamic Body-Weight Support on Inpatient Rehabilitation Outcomes in NonTraumatic Spinal Cord Injury: Preliminary Findings”. Poster Presentation, AAPM&R 2018 Annual Assembly, Oct 2018
- Ultrasound guided dextrose prolotherapy for chronic knee pain in a patient with spinal cord injury: a case report John Lopez, DO; Robert Worthing, MD Poster Presentation at AAP National Conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico - February 2019
- Ultrasound guided dextrose prolotherapy for chronic knee pain in a patient with spinal cord injury: a case report John Lopez, DO; Robert Worthing, MD Poster Presentation at Lexington VA Healthcare System Rehabilitation Research Day Lexington, KY - May 2019
- Impact of dynamic body-weight supported therapy on inpatient rehabilitation outcomes following traumatic spinal cord injury John Lopez, DO; Elizabeth Powell, MS; Emily Anggelis, MS; Lumy Sawaki, MD, PhD Presentation at University of Kentucky Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Research Day Lexington, KY - May 2019
Physical Medicine & Rehab Research Day Programs
( Note Acrobat Reader Needed)
- Research Day 1998
- Research Day 1999
- Research Day 2000
- Research Day 2001
- Research Day 2002
- Research Day 2003
- Research Day 2004
- Research Day 2005
- Research Day 2006
- Research Day 2007
- Research Day 2008
- Research Day 2009
- Research Day 2010
- Research Day 2011
- Research Day 2012
- Research Day 2013
- Research Day 2014
- Research Day 2015
- Research Day 2016
- Research Day Program 2017 Final.pdf
- Research Day Program 2018